Tuesday 23 August 2011

Floundering without Intellectual Property? - Week 5

One of this week’s readings really got me thinking about culture, intellectual property and content copyright. Lawrence Lessig (2004) painted a really relevant historical picture for me in relation to media content restrictions, by using Disney and Manga as examples. He introduced an interesting concept, “Creators here and everywhere are always and at all times building upon the creativity that went before and that surrounds them now.” Most of the content we have readily available to our culture is not an original idea – obviously, because where else would copies, spin offs and parodies come from? But not even that, and idea has to stem from something – essentially, another (different) concept.
From our tutorial discussion in relation to media content copyright and ISP restrictions, I got to thinking about the businesses and cultural segments dedicated to what can only be known as ‘illegal content distributors’. Limewire, Frostwire and Pirate Bay are 3 programs/websites which definitely don’t go unnoticed due to their mass redistribution and peer to peer sharing. It doesn’t help that with the rise in popularity for theses sites, and internet-enabled devices, has come the noticeable decline in sales for CDs and DVDs – a big blow for the music and film industries. It makes me wonder how it is that some people (which may or may not include myself…) fly completely under the radar when viewing or downloading media content, but in other instances – individuals are caught downloading the content and are consequentially restricted or even shut down by their ISPs.
I would have to agree with Lessig's idea that “A large, diverse society cannot survive without property; a large, diverse, and modern society cannot flourish without intellectual property.” But I can't help but wonder what would the world be like without copyright of our own intellectual property? I doubt we would all be swimming around in an ocean of free content, rather - everyone would be scrabbling over each others work, claiming it as their own. I feel that our culture currently has an appropriate system for copyright, considering the way we can so easily share and view content. I just wonder where it will head in the future, with the evolution of media production systems and technologies... 
Let me know your thoughts

3 comments:

  1. I feel that there should be some kind of copyright or at least some way to identify the creator of any material. I agree with Darren on the claiming thing. I don't think that would happen. People would use it but not say the source. Maybe, sometimes, they would claim it as their own, but I don't think that would be common.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also find it amazing how people do not get caught using the downloading websites. I know many people who use them and are not caught, but I recently had a friend who was caught illegally downloading an HBO series on his computer and they actually gave him a warning. It may be because he downloads a LOT of movies and TV series, but there are people on the internet looking for people who illegally download products.

    It is easy to illegally download music, movies, and TV series, but I agree must agree with you again and say that I also think copyright laws are needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree that the current system of copyright is appropriate. Especially in the new age of digital distribution. Once you create something, you own it. It's just a matter of proving it.

    The rise of digital content creation, while it has made it easier to rip-off ideas, it's also made it a lot easier to protect ideas.

    ReplyDelete