Monday 17 October 2011

Information appliance VS Computing Device... aka Apple VS Google... aka iOS VS Android...


Before I continue into this week's blog topic, I must confess: I am an apple person. I personally own an iPhone, iPad, Macbook Pro, Cinema Display Screen, wireless mousepad and wireless keyboard. It is a pretty seamless setup for me, and i love it. But in this blog, I promise to make this a fair fight between Apple iOS & Google Android...


On 9th January 2007 Steve Jobs introduced the first iPhone. On November 5, 2007 the unveiling of the Android distribution was announced. Apple currently delivers a unified mobile OS for the iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch for their users, whereas Google has two Android tracks: one for tablets and one for smartphones. But, Ice Cream Sandwich is the name of the next generation Android operating system, and is Google’s most ambitious effort in the mobile world to date. It's been a neck and neck fight since the beginning, but the competition between Apple, Google, and Microsoft is about to heat up even more.

Looking at the facts and company's philosophys though, you can see the vital defining differences between Apple & Google...
Apple's Philosophy
- closed devices
- walled garden of apps
- complete control over platform, content and user

Google's Philosophy
- open and free platform
- open garden of apps
- no control over platform, content and user

Preferences of users is one of the most dominating aspects of this war in mobile computing, because the users are the ones to really determine the outcomes. But the questions are: do you feel comfortable leaving the software and content decisions for the company to sort through, so they can perfect, polish and present it to you? Or do you want to be rained with bugged content and software, with no real idea where/what the good stuff is? Are you prepared to make decisions you know nothing about?

According to Galen Gruman's comparison article from infoworld, "There's no question which is the better mobile OS: iOS 5 beats both Android systems in almost every category. iOS 5 has significantly widened the lead in several areas, including applications, Web and Internet, and user interface."

In the overall scheme of things, it is completely up to the users preferences when it comes to mobile computing, but I think i'm just gonna leave it to the experts... *cough thanks Apple!* Let me know what side you are on in your comments. Thanks for reading!


Online sources
http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2011/10/17/google-goes-after-apple-with-ice-cream-sandwich/
http://www.infoworld.com/d/mobile-technology/mobile-deathmatch-apple-ios-5-vs-google-android-os-169752?page=0,5
http://au.askmen.com/entertainment/guy_gear_200/234_iphone-vs-google-services.html

6 comments:

  1. Researching for this week, I've found that the majority statistics favour Apple. It has the better functioning platform, with fewer problems and easier use. Yet there is still this negative bias against Apple. You're average person on the street will say they'll never buy an Apple product (except the iPod), but Apple is statistically the better system. In my opinion, it's because of the compatibility issues Apple had back in the day. People still see it as a foreign system, rather than a functioning alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 100% for team Apple woo

    After reading a few blog posts from this week I found it interesting that despite initial user preferences our class as a whole has looked a little deeper into the pros and cons of both Apple and Google but has still stuck firmly to original preference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before I start I just want to say...Please don't hate me! Once owning an Iphone I must say I disliked it. I owned a Iphone 3GS for at least a year and I had so many problems such a constant freezing and a constant low battery (which is where I pickled up the habit of carrying my usb cord with me wherever I go!) just to name a few. I also had problems with itunes including the day I opened up itunes and it had deleted all of my music files. Since then I have moved onto a Blackberry which I love!
    Anyways I see it as it really boils down to what the individual wants. Reading comments and blogs there are a majority of you that have a strong Apple preference, but for me if I had to go buy a new phone tomorrow it would have to be an Android and not for the purpose for its open system but for the sole purpose of possessing Apples rival! (hehe!)
    I personally find it interesting exploring different systems so by being accustomed to Apples system I am interested in working an open sourced system, a major possibility for my next phone purchase!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know after the introduction of the iPhone 4S and the new iOS5 system people are raving about how good it is, but to me it's just another way for Google to now market a better Android system. We've all spoken about the use of healthy competition and I guess this is a perfect example. What I will say is that when I went into Optus to discuss what phone I should get next, they all said the Android system was THE BEST! Every single employee who worked at the Optus store in Wollongong had a HTC Incredible S, or the Galaxy S11 and all run of the Android system. Silly little me didn't listen to any of them and instead i got an iPhone. I haven't had an issues with it yet....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you, I am an apple person who appreciates the simplicity of their products. I am not tech savvy enough to get the most out of my device if i have to modify/update and play around with the platform. Call me lame, but i like the way apple has made a business out of reliable and relatively simple to use technology!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am an apple girl myself like tegan i really appreciate the simplicity. i am under no illusion though as to there work ethic
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=Rj9JVXzoOYQ
    they i feel are just the same as most corporation. I do feel that maybe i should take into account not only the functionality but the work ethics and humanitarianism of the corporate... and then i see the shinny cover the compact neat light macbook and i dont know.

    ReplyDelete